Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What I Wanna Be When I Grow Up

This is the question everyone starts asking when you reach the ripe age of 21... and sooner really. Isn't it a little nerve-wracking and completely crazy that at such a young age I'm supposed to have decided what I'm going to dedicate my life and time to for the next 40 years? The thought of that used to be a big issue for me. It became one of my worst fears that I was going to pick the wrong thing and ruin my life, stuck doing something I'm horrible at or have a horrible time at. But then I had the big epiphany:

I don't have to do one thing for the rest of my life.

"That's wrong. That's just insane and too hopeful to be true," I told myself. "Don't be delusional." Growing up as the daughter of CPAs, believing that you could do more than one thing in your career life was as absurd as believing in Santa Claus (which I did until I was in 5th grade by the way. Irrelevant? Oh sorry.)

Eventually I started to question what was so crazy about it. Nothing, nothing at all. So I started to list all the things I want to be when I grow up and found that it would be very plausible for me to have multiple careers at different times in my life, especially because
so many of them relate to each other. I thought I'd share that list with you today!

1. Art Director at an Advertising Agency
As many of you know, I'm currently in this line of work as an intern and absolutely in love with my job. This may or may not be what I want to do forever, but I do know it's where I want to start.

2. Freelance Graphic Designer
This is one of those jobs that clearly interlinks with my first dream job. Many people actually are Art Directors and freelancers at the same time.

3. Author
I want to write a book. I've wanted to write my own book since I was in the fourth grade and wanted to be a famous author like J.K. Rowling (my role model at the time and also my role model still today). I consider myself a storyteller and hope that someday I can have a story published.

4. Dress Designer
What girl hasn't wanted to design a clothing line? Okay, so maybe I won't be the next Oscar de la Renta in my lifetime, but Elsie from A Beautiful Mess was able to bring her dress line to life through her small business. So why couldn't I?

5. Photographer
I always love photos, even as a kid. At that point I really just loved being in them to be honest, but just shows I have been very emotionally attached to photos since I was little. I'd love to photograph some weddings or even just senior portraits for a living sometime in my life.

6. Magazine Design
Clearly lots of my dreams involve different design jobs. Very related and very possible to have more than one at different points.

7. Greeting Card Writer
Weird. I know. But I just feel like it would be a fun challenge to try and come up with a multitude of greeting cards every day and get paid for it!

8. Business Owner
I don't know if this means starting something from scratch necessarily or if it will come in the form of buying into a business I believe in. There are a lot of ways to go about making this idea a reality.

9. Blogger
I'd say that this dream is a work in progress! I'd love for my little corner of the internet to someday become a bigger part of my life.


This is just the short list of jobs I think I would love the most. The hopes I just can't shake. I could never pick just one. And luckily I don't have to. What jobs are on your dream list? Do any of you had more than one career already? I'd love to hear about your dreams in the comments! love, lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment